08:41
+32
USD 68.85
EUR 80.21
RUB 1.17
English

Tajik citizens lead in number of ISIL suicide bombers in Syria and Iraq

People from Tajikistan headed the list of suicide bombers of the so-called Islamic State. Fergana agency writes with reference to the report "War by Suicide: A Statistical Analysis of the Islamic State’s Martyrdom Industry" by the International Center for Combating Terrorism (Netherlands).

From December 2015 till November 30, 2016, 27 citizens of Tajikistan self-detonated.

They are followed by terrorists from Saudi Arabia and Morocco - 17 suicides each, Tunisia - 14, Russia - 13, Egypt - 11 and Palestine - 9. The militants from China and Iran self-detonated 7 times, the Uzbeks and Turkish people – 4 each, Kazakhstan and Afghanistan – two each.

As the authors of the report note, most often - in 70 percent of cases - IS militants commit suicide by detonating cars in crowded places. About 84 percent of all suicide attacks in this period are directed against the military, the remaining 16 percent are against the civilian population.

Earlier this year, the Interior Minister of Tajikistan Ramazon Rahimzoda said that in 2016, 36 terrorist attacks were prevented in the republic, and 50 people who planned attacks in Dushanbe and other cities of the country were detained. All the detainees were the Tajik citizens who joined IS ranks.

Popular